BG Ethanol Fuel System Defender Service
E10 (10% Ethanol in fuel) is here - Are YOU prepared?
During summer 2021, the standard (95 octane) petrol grade in Great Britain will become E10 (10% Ethanol).
Some 5% of cars, particularly pre-2011, classics and some motorcycles, will not be compatible and these drivers should purchase 'super grade' petrol.
But even if you're not one of these 5% of motorists, are YOU aware of the downsides of the move to E10?
E10 petrol contains up to 10% renewable ethanol, which will help to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions associated with petrol vehicles and tackle climate change. Petrol in the UK currently contains up to 5% renewable ethanol (known as E5).
So moving to E10 has major environmental benefits - but it also brings downsides, mainly because Ethanol attracts, absorbs and holds water. And too much water causes the ethanol and water to settle at the bottom of the fuel tank, creating an incombustible gloop.
- This can cause damage to valves, injectors, the fuel rail, fuel filter or cylinder head - very costly items to replace.
- Ethanol is acidic - which accelerates corrosion in metal fuel system components.
- And because Ethanol is not compatible with the traditional detergents added to fuel, heavy deposits (the natural by-product of combustion) occur. These lead to inefficient combustion, reduced MPG and increased emissions.
E10 could cause particular problems for motorbikes owners. With many bikes being stored over winter or used intermittently, the fuel left in the tank runs the risk of going stale and undergoing ‘phase separation’ - where the ethanol falls out of solution with the petrol as it absorbs more water. This could result in an engine that won’t start. And this could happen in as little as three months!
So, is there anything the motorist or biker can do to mitigate these factors?
Yes, add the BG Ethanol Fuel System Defender Service to YOUR armoury.
- BG Fuel System Defender used with each oil change contains special stabilizers that prevent fuel oxidation, gum and varnish formation. This improves performance and power and restores fuel economy. Corrosion inhibitors form a coating that protects the fuel system.
- BG Ethanol Fuel System Drier forms a stable solution with water and gas allowing more water to pass harmlessly through the fuel system.
- BG Ethanol Corrosion Preventer used at each fill-up neutralizes acids in the fuel and keeps the entire fuel system clean. Corrosion inhibitors form a coating that protects the fuel system.
Search online for BG44K reviews from around the World – BG Products are used in 3 times more garages in the US than any competitor!
Find your local Stockist
Click the menu button at the top of the page and enter your postcode to identify a local independent garage stockist near you.
Motorcycle owners - Contact your local centre. Midlands: Vertu Honda Nottingham and Vertu Honda Grantham